10 benefits of the sea for the mind and body
Did you know that in the seawater there are vitamins and minerals such as iodine, calcium, magnesium and potassium that have anti-inflammatory and relaxing properties?
Yes, the sea what we sailing in, love so much to dive and explore when we are visiting beaches and coves, can do a lot for your health: it is an organic environment with therapeutic properties, and is available to everyone!
When you know these 10 benefits of the sea for the mind and body, you will want to dive into the sea more often, as the water of the ocean is able to improve the defenses of the body, help to ease and heal many illness.
Benefits of bathing in the sea for the mind and body:
- Relieves anxiety and stress. The magnesium in salt water contributes to the treatment of nervous disorders and has an almost immediate relaxing effect. On the other hand, the blue colour brings serenity to your mind, the experience of the breeze calms the nervous system, the sand acts on the nerve endings of the sole of the foot and if you are on a beach without no crowd, you can hear the sound of the waves breaking on the shore. It’s a whole spa!
- Sea baths on a sunny day activates the production of vitamin D, which protects against osteoporosis and some autoimmune diseases. In addition, sunlight increases the production of endorphins, which increase the feeling of well-being.
- The sea is a powerful scrub that acts directly on the skin and accelerates some healing processes. Patients with psoriasis help reduce itching and peel off the affected parts. It also has anti-inflammatory properties. However, in cases of burns and dermatitis, it’s advisable to consult the doctor, because the sea can irritate.
- The minerals present in the sea are a natural lubricant for the skin. They have a nutritious and restorative effect.
- The movement of the waves against the body stimulates circulation and massage the muscles, relieving tensions and cramps. For these same reasons, getting into the sea is also useful if you suffer from insomnia. It will help you relax and sleep like a baby.
- Salt water helps the lungs eliminate toxins, decongesting the respiratory system.
- In case of patients with allergies or rhinitis, absorption of marine elements through the breeze relieves irritation of the nasal mucosa and fluidizes secretions.
- The contrast of the cold temperature of the sea with the warmth of the environment stimulates the circulation of blood, causing energy and good humor. For people with low blood pressure, the contraction of the blood vessels favors them because it increases blood pressure.
- Sea baths would help reduce pains caused by rheumatic diseases. They also strengthen joints and muscles as waves force the body to offer some resistance and maintain balance within the water.
- The iodine present in the sea breeze acts positively in the regulation of the thyroid.
As you can see, the sea, besides being a space of fun, sport and recreation is also a source of health.
The next time you plan to rent a boat or rent a sailboat, in addition to checking this checklist before setting sail, remember all the advantages of sailing and bathing in the sea: pure benefits for the mind and body!
Spanish text writer: Teresa De Vincenzo
CEO: Orsi Oletics